Indonesia Football Riot Video Viral, What Happened, Everything To Know!

After supporters invaded the ground in East Java, police fired tear gas, causing a rush that resulted in at least 174 fatalities and 100 injuries.

At least 174 people have died and several more have been injured in a brawl and a stampede at a football stadium in Indonesia.

What Happened At Indonesia Football Riot?

One of the worst sports stadium accidents in the history of the globe occurred on Saturday night in the eastern city of Malang.

After Arema FC’s squad fell to Persebaya Surabaya 3-2, hundreds of its supporters reportedly flooded the field at Kanjuruhan Stadium, according to police in the East Java region. Police used tear gas in an attempt to quell the “riots,” which caused a stampede as terrified spectators raced for an escape gate.

Others died after being crushed while others suffocated in the commotion. Two police officers were among the at least 34 persons who passed away at the stadium.

In an interview with Kompas TV on Sunday afternoon, Emil Dardak, the vice governor of East Java, said that 174 people had died and more than 100 wounded individuals were undergoing emergency care in eight hospitals. He said that eleven of them were in serious condition.

Also Read: Indonesian Football Fan Beaten To Death Video Viral On Social Media

At 9:30 am (0230 GMT), there were 158 fatalities, and at 10:30 am, there were 174, according to Dardak.

One of the casualties was a five-year-old child, a hospital director informed the local news station.

Following Arema FC’s defeat against Persebaya Surabaya, local TV networks captured images of supporters flooding onto the field at the Kanjurujan Stadium in Malang. There are visible scuffles and what seems to be tear gas in the air.

Uncertainty surrounds what transpired as the fans spilled onto the field, but it is certain that the use of tear gas in a throng where there was no way to leave it exacerbated an already tense situation.

A photojournalist inside the stadium, Suci Rahayu, claimed that the use of tear gas was excessive. Many people passed out. There wouldn’t have been such a riot if there hadn’t been tear gas.

Ms. Suci claimed in a phone conversation with The New York Times that many people were in pain as a result of the stadium’s ban on water, which would have helped wash away the tear gas.

The Legal Aid Foundation of Indonesia stated in a statement that the “high number of fatalities was caused by the excessive use of force through the use of tear gas and inappropriate crowd control.” It stated that FIFA, the world’s governing organisation of soccer, forbids the use of tear gas.

The group claimed that the deployment of tear gas “was not in compliance with crowd control regulations” and led to supporters in the stands scurrying for an exit door, out of breath, collapsing, and bumping with one another.

An individual posted a video of supporters jumping a fence to escape the tear gas clouds on Twitter.

People can be heard cursing the police in the footage. The tweeter blamed the murders on the use of tear gas and named President Joko Widodo and Vice President Ma’ruf Amin.

Another Twitter user posted a video that showed troops striking and kicking spectators who had rushed the pitch while brandishing shields and batons. Then the police started spraying the field with tear gas. The videos could not be authenticated right away.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here